Setting up a Business

If you are thinking of starting a childminding business, there are a number of issues you need to consider. Different supports and regulations apply, depending on your particular situation.  You may be employed, unemployed or someone who is coming from outside Ireland to set up a business.

As a childminder, you should set up a business as a sole trader.  It is relatively simple to set up as a sole trader. Your main legal obligation is that you must register as a self-employed person Legal Obligations on Becoming Self Employed with the Revenue Commissioners.  If you want to use a business name, you must register your business name with the Companies Registration Office. For more information, go to

If you are unemployed you may be eligible for the Back to Work Enterprise Allowance (BTWEA) or the Short-Term Enterprise Allowance (STEA).  If you are starting a business, you also may get extra supports under these schemes, for example grants for training, market research, business plans and access to loans to buy equipment.

You also need to plan your service.  Do some research.  What level of demand is there for childminding in your area?  How much should you charge?  You may need to prepare your home for young children.  Fill in the questionnaire Planning a childminding service to get you started.  Read our Guidelines to Planning a Childminding Business in your home.

Pobal Logo DOCYA Logo