Childcare Professionals Development Day
Building Relationships to foster positive behaviour – Your role as an Early Years Professional
Our keynote speaker is Dorothy Armstrong. Dorothy is an Occupational Therapist who works with children, teenagers and young adults. She received her PhD in 2017, and also holds an Honour’s Degree and Master’s in Occupational Therapy. Dorothy also provides training to other professionals and is currently employed by Kildare County Council as part of the Toys Technology and Training (TTT) Programme run through the Kildare libraries. This involves her giving public lectures and workshops on issues relating to children and teenagers with differing needs. She has also made radio appearances concerning issues relating to children with differing needs. Dorothy has a wide range of expertise in working with children, teenagers and young adults with Asperger’s, Dyspraxia (Developmental Coordination Disorder), Dysgraphia, and ADHD. She has also worked as a lecturer in NUI Galway.
The day will look at various strategies to promote/support/facilitate relationships and positive behaviours in early years settings. The stategies will include;
- Hi-Scope – using High Scope to promote positive behaviours
- Play Therapy – Play Therapy as a means of supporting behaviour
- Working with Children with Autism – the child with an ASD diagnosis and positive behaviour management
- Mindfullness – the workshop will explore what is Mindfulness and how we can integrate the practice into daily life in easy and simple ways. The session will be experiential and offer a direct experience of short mindfulness practices for Childcare Practitioners.
- Yoga for Children – in helping children to learn about their own well being, discover who they are, by encouraging creativity and exploration and how to effectively communicate through Yoga.
The Glenview Hotel, 25th November
Glen of the Downs, Wicklow
9.30 a.m. – 3.30 p.m.
The cost for this event is €25 per person including a three course lunch. The discounted rate for 2 persons from the same service is €40 and any additional staff is €10 per person.
To book for this event please complete our booking form and send it together with your payment by post to: The Administrator, Wicklow County Childcare Committee, Kilmantin Hill, Wicklow Town, Co. Wicklow.