Frequently Asked Questions

Click here for FAQ’s about the ECCE free pre-school scheme

Below are typical questions parents ask about Childminders

How many children can a Childminder mind?

Childminding is governed by the Childcare (1991) Act and the Child Care Regulations (2006). Childminding is regulated only where four or more children – unrelated to you or each other – under the age of six are minded.

Under these Regulations, a Childminder can mind up to five unrelated children under the age of six. Notification to the TUSLA is obligatory if four or more preschool children are being minded, and these Childminders are inspected by the Preschool Officer.

There is no regulation at present of school age childcare services. However, a Childminder can have no more than six children in the home under local planning regulations.

Does the Childminder Advisor inspect or vet Childminders?

Childminders who are not required to notify TUSLA (because they mind three or fewer preschoolers or provide school age care) may voluntarily notify their city or county childcare committee and sign up to a voluntary code of good practice, including insurance and training. They then receive an annual advisory visit from the local Childminder Advisor.

How much should I pay my Childminder?

A Childminder will agree rates individually with each family according to requirements, i.e. number of children to be minded, number of meals provided, transport to or from school etc.
The annual survey of rates conducted by Childminding Ireland in 2012 showed that the national average weekly rate for a full time place at €151 per child per week with a range of fees from €123 to €201. The national average part time rate remains at €5.00 per hour with the national average hourly rate for after school at €5.00. This ranged from €3 to €7 throughout Ireland

Should I pay my Childminder’s PRSI and deduct income tax?

Childminders who mind children in their own home is self-employed and liable for their own tax / PRSI. However, if the Childminder minds children in your home, then s/he is an employee and you must pay all relevant tax and social insurance contributions.

Should I be paying tax?

Maybe. A childminder running home based childcare service is self-employed (link to setting up a childminding service and responsible for making annual tax returns. The Childminders Tax Relief Scheme allows you to mind up to 3 children and earn up to €15,000 gross per year tax free, once your local CCC is aware of your childminding service. Over that amount, you are liable for tax under self assessment. See (Link to Childminders and Tax)

What should I look for when choosing a Childminder?

Arrange to visit potential Childminders in their own homes, ideally when there are children there so you can see if the atmosphere is happy and busy. Ask to look over the house and see the areas available to the children. Have a look at the toys, books and equipment. Ask lots of questions! You should always ask for character references and follow this up.

• What experience does the Childminder have? Are they insured?
• Do they have any training in first aid or childcare?
• What do they charge? What is included, for example, meals, nappies, etc.?

Do I have to pay my Childminder holiday pay?

 It is recommended that you pay your Childminder for 52 weeks a year. In the case of extended breaks, for example in the case of parents who are teachers, it is usual for Childminders and parents to work out an arrangement whereby a proportion of the cost is paid to retain the place. These arrangements should form part of the initial contract that is agreed between Childminder and Parent.


If you have a question that you would like answered or added to our FAQ then please submit your question below:

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)

Your Question For The FAQ

Pobal Logo DOCYA Logo