Deposits and Capacity
- Pre-school providers may charge a deposit to hold a place for the expanded ECCE programme, which is refundable when the child’s entitlement to the free pre-school year is confirmed.
- Services may be able to hold a place from the beginning of the Pre-School Year (September) until the child becomes eligible to participate. Services may choose to prioritise children who are fee-paying until they become eligible to participate in the programme.
- If there is no space for a 5-day week pre-school place, or a parent does not wish for a child to attend pre-school for 5 days then there is an option to attend on a part-time basis. The funding will only be paid to the service for the days the child attends. Services can however prioritise places for a child who attends for the 5-day week.
- If a service only has the capacity to have one pre-school room/session which is full, parents can choose to avail of the free pre-school session at another service or remain in the service of their choice but be fee-paying.
- If a service providers decides to expand their service to offer a second pre-school session, both sessions must be delivered 3 hours per day, 5 days per week.
- Check your existing planning permission if you want to expand your service in any way, for example, by increasing numbers of children or expanding opening hours. If unsure, contact Wicklow County Council on (0404) 20148.